HE SAID, MARIE, MARIE, HOLD ON TIGHT

And when we were children, staying at the archduke's,
My cousin's, he took me out on a sled,
And I was frightened. He said, Marie,
Marie, hold on tight. And down we went.
In the mountains, there you feel free.
I read, much of the night, and go south in the winter.

~ The Waste Land, "The Burial of The Dead", Eliot

Friday, October 24, 2008
walking with grace
i will back in nyc, at the same old in january, interning at the contracts and rights department as well as doing a day at ap travel news. it'll be a learning experience. i am delighted to have an excuse to be in the city again. i love new york, because every major decision that i owned and made for myself took place in new york city. deciding to leave, deciding to leave another place, learning about the death of the first person i ever cared for, learning to love someone in the city, dreaming of returning to the city together, with a dog, because of that, new york will always be a part of me. ithaca is the town that nurtures me, tells me my voice is valued, tells me i can be happy, and tells me that i am capable of loving. in ithaca, the brown leaves and air, teach me to respond to my body. here, one gets a sense truth and hope is still valued. i have a boss at the publishing press who campaigns in philly for obama. i read 17-century manuscripts in a library, reading on out of the fear that they will crumble into dust in my hand if i wait too long. here i can speak with confidence and tell people about their own country, without fear of sounding foreign. here i am in love with the most wonderful person, the person i respect and love, the person who gave back a broken new york to me, all fixed and brand new, on christmas last year. (merry christmas, he said. merry christmas, i said, unnerved by the skaters and the christmas tree, the horrendous holiday traffic, and the prospect of a flight i had to catch to singapore in 3 hours) and after all this, i know if it lets me, i can go back to the city again, knowing exactly what i want, walking with grace.

[publishing] Publishers Weekly . Dystel & Goderich . New York Center for Independent Publishing . Association of American University Presses . Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators

[people] clarisse . nurul . aunty zarina (ummi's bakery) . jeremy . pak . cyril . softblow . karen & kenny (booksactually) . eric . joel .

[other loves] digitaljournalist . ballet dictionary . poetshouse . urbanwordnyc

[me] dawn, singapore, new york city, ithaca.

[yesterday] little moment
fannie and freddie
ithaca
consumed by the details of my life now. it mostly ...
i have been stressed out. only just secured my sch...
fireworks
ithaca is gorges
browntown
it's been pure madness, and i have just moved into...
bayard street

[archives] January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 July 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 December 2008 January 2009 February 2009

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?