HE SAID, MARIE, MARIE, HOLD ON TIGHT

And when we were children, staying at the archduke's,
My cousin's, he took me out on a sled,
And I was frightened. He said, Marie,
Marie, hold on tight. And down we went.
In the mountains, there you feel free.
I read, much of the night, and go south in the winter.

~ The Waste Land, "The Burial of The Dead", Eliot

Sunday, December 02, 2007
like engines
im sick and nasal. ive been cooking good nutritious food for myself, and stuffing myself with vitamins, so perhaps i will be well soon.

i called mary today, i will go and stay with her in the bronx when i get back to nyc. just because. i could go on and on about mary, her odd romances, her devoutness, her apartment in the bronx that overlooks a garden of junk, her kindness, her flowery night-gowns, how my last night living in new york city was spent in the bronx, i'd been packing all night the day before, and the moment i stepped into her house, i fell asleep, a deep sleep, as though i hadn't slept in years.

today there were all these kids at the language outreach event, i was helping out at. they were all beautiful mixed blood asian kids, learning chinese. "don't worry, she'll warm up," one of the mothers said. "like engines," said tywanquilla. i laughed. my mother used to say that about me. "she'll warm up." my parents used to entertain a lot. there'd be uncle bob and auntie shirley, we'd go to uncle paul's for christmas, and i'd always cry because judith--who was a year younger than me--would be bossy, and i just couldn't take how she was so darn confident, how she always seemed better than me. sometimes jonathan would eat play-doh to make us girls scream, and we'd go screaming to auntie olivia, "jonathan's eating play-doh!" if other children were around, i'd be more likely to come out from behind the skirt. if there were only boys and no girls, i stayed close to my mother. i would hide behind her back and bury my face in her skirt. "what on earth are you doing?" she'd say, exasperated. sometimes, she'd try to pull me out, but if i really didn't want to see other people, i'd try to wrap her skirt around my face. the grown-ups who liked kids would do say "peekaboo!" or take out candy. sometimes i'd get tired of hiding, because it takes effort to hide. so eventually, i'd release my fingers petal by petal, very gradually, and open up my face to light.

Comments:
hey love, hope you get better soon. chicken soup! with fresh coriander just before serving. -beeeghug-
:) i made a black bean soup. it was crazily rich, even without meat. see you soon maybe!


[publishing] Publishers Weekly . Dystel & Goderich . New York Center for Independent Publishing . Association of American University Presses . Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators

[people] clarisse . nurul . aunty zarina (ummi's bakery) . jeremy . pak . cyril . softblow . karen & kenny (booksactually) . eric . joel .

[other loves] digitaljournalist . ballet dictionary . poetshouse . urbanwordnyc

[me] dawn, singapore, new york city, ithaca.

[yesterday] snow under streetlight
trauma and the heart
breathe
pretty
the memory of a goldfish
letter to yantai
all of a sudden
happiness
differences
Ultrasound

[archives] January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 July 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 December 2008 January 2009 February 2009

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?